When it comes to buying indoor or outdoor paint, the selection is so vast that you might start to get a little confused while deciding which one you want. Don't worry, though, because once you learn something about the types of paints available and which ones have been given the highest ratings by customers, it's a lot easier to pick the perfect paint for you.
When you're painting the walls in your home, you need paint specifically made for the interior of your home.
It's good to explore different brands so that you can pick out paint that you know will both look good and stay on there for a while.
Table of Contents
What's The Best Paint For Your Walls Based On Customer Ratings
- Behr Premium Plus Ultra White Eggshell Enamel Paint and Primer in One
- Valspar Signature Interior Paint and Primer
- PPG Diamond Semi-Gloss Interior Paint with Primer
- Sherwin Williams Infinity One Coat Perfection Paint
- Spruce Best Home by Kilz Paint and Primer in One
- Behr Marquee One Coat Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint and Primer
- Benjamin Moore Aura Waterborne Matte Interior Paint
- Glidden Essentials Interior Paint
- Farrow & Ball interior paint
- Prestige Interior Paint and Primer
- MicroBlend Interior Paint and Primer
There is more information about why I have chosen the paints on the list above with all the details about cost and why they are highly rated by customers
What's The Best Paint For External Walls
When painting external walls that are cement rendered with a smooth finish, you will need to stabilise the render first for the best finish then use a masonry paint such as Dulux Weathershield.
Different Types of Paint
Shopping for paint means knowing the difference between the types of paint, which is what the paint is made of. Following are some of these types:
- Oil-based Paint. Used a lot by professional painters, this type of paint is excellent for trim since it can take a lot of abuse and keep on going. It is also slow to dry, however, and will never dry as quickly as other types of paint.
- Water-based Paint. A very common paint, water-based paint dries quickly and tends to have lower VOCs, which means that it is safer for you to breathe and is the perfect paint for interior walls and trim.
- Latex paint. Latex paint is used mostly for the exterior of homes and offices. It won't fade in direct sun, which makes it an excellent outdoor paint, and it can even be used on materials such as masonry and metal.
The most common type of latex paint is acrylic latex paint, and it is usually water-based. If you're going to use latex paint for the exterior of your home, make sure that you get the kind specifically made for the outside of your home.
Otherwise, it can fade quickly, and it simply won't provide you with the look and durability you want and deserve.
Types of Finishes for Your Interior
To start with, you should know that there are six main finishes of paint for the inside of your home. The finish is how the paint looks once the paint job is complete, and they include the following:
- Eggshell Paint. With a subtle shine and less smoothness than satin paint, eggshell paint is easy to apply and tends to cover up imperfections better than other types of paint. People also love it because it does a great job of looking nice and smooth with just one coat of paint.
- Gloss Paint. With the exception of matte paint, gloss paint is the most common type of interior paint. You can use it on your walls, but many people also use it on woodwork, thanks to its shine. That being said, you do have to apply more than one coat to get the look you want, especially since it tends to show all of the wall's imperfections.
- Matte enamel. Very similar to matte paint, this type of paint is much more durable and doesn't need as much retouching as regular matte paint. It is easy to apply and even easier to clean, so it makes the perfect paint for your kitchen where the walls often have to be wiped off and cleaned.
- Matte Paint. This is the most common type of indoor paint and comes with no sheen or shine, which means that it is a good, basic paint that suits most homeowners' needs. It is easy to apply and does a great job of covering imperfections, which means that it is an excellent choice if you have an older home. Sometimes, though, you will need a second coat to get the look you want.
- Satin Paint. This paint provides a low, soft sheen, somewhere in between a matte finish and a gloss finish. It is an excellent paint to use on walls that require a lot of cleaning, but you should never use it on a wall that has a lot of imperfections because satin paint tends to bring more, not less, attention to those imperfections.
- Semi-gloss Paint. This paint offers a hard finish and can be used on the interior walls of your home, yet it is mostly used on the trim. It can be cleaned easily with soap and water, and you can usually get great coverage with just one coat. Always remember that the glossier the paint, the more difficult it will be to cover up imperfections in the wall.
So if you're wondering what the best paint for walls is, you can see that each painting will provide a different finish and overall look for your walls than the next one.
Depending on how much coverage you need and how severe your imperfections are, it should be easy to decide for yourself which paint to choose.
In the meantime, if you'd like to look at a list of the twelve best interior paints according to customer ratings, take a look at the ones below.
1. Behr Premium Plus Ultra White Eggshell Enamel Paint and Primer in One
This is a high-quality paint and stain blocker that gives you a silky finish and great coverage, which means that it is super easy to hide imperfections on your wall.
The company uses NANO GUARD technology to provide you with extra durability and surface protection, and it is straightforward to clean as well. In fact, you can enjoy great coverage and reliability with this paint.
It is even mildew-resistant if you need yet another reason to purchase it.
The price of around £70 is reasonable considering what you get in return, and you can use it for both the walls and the trim in each and every room.
It also comes in a variety of other colours besides white so you can accommodate all of the walls in your home with ease.
2. Valspar Signature Interior Paint and Primer
Since it resists all scuff marks, stains, and scrubs, this is an excellent paint to use if you have kids in your home. It offers top-notch stain resistance and comes in a variety of fade-resistant colours. In fact, this is one paint that can take a lot of abuse and keep on going, making it a very popular paint indeed.
Better still, you can use the colour as it is or mix it with another colour to give it a different tint. You can choose your sheen as well, which includes eggshell, flat, satin, and semi-gloss, giving you a lot of options when you go to pick out your colour. Both domestic and commercial customers can use it, and it is dry to the touch after one hour, meaning that you won't have to wait long to start enjoying its look.
3. Dulux Diamond Semi-Gloss Interior Paint with Primer
One of the most significant advantages this paint offers is its low-odour, no-VOC formula, making it a much more pleasant experience for you each time you paint your walls. Easy to clean and resistant to both stains and mildew, it is exceptionally durable and covers up to 37 square meters of interior space.
At the cost of under £40, this is also a paint that is easy on your budget.
It has a low shine and a finish that is easily scrubbed and washed to look great. In fact, you can choose from among many different colours.
When you do wish to clean it up, you can use simple soap and water for the task. This is one paint that is made to look great, last a very long time, and help you save money, thanks to its very reasonable price.
4. Sherwin Williams Infinity One Coat Perfection Paint
For an absolutely flawless finish and lifetime protection guarantee, this interior paint and primer in one will produce beautiful results every time. It is incredibly durable and can stand up to almost anything.
Its price of around £57 provides you with a lot of benefits in return.
You get your choice between flat, satin, eggshell, and semi-gloss finishes. It is even antimicrobial and mould- and mildew-resistant. This is a 100% acrylic enamel paint that can be used as is or by adding another colour so that its tint is a little different.
It is dry to the touch in an hour or less, and it can be used on walls, concrete/masonry, basement walls, ceilings, drywall, and even on metal, making this a very versatile type of paint.
5. Spruce Best Home by Kilz Paint and Primer in One
You can get this paint in a semi-gloss, matte, or eggshell finish and its price of around £47 makes it affordable for everyone. It is also available in more than 30 different colours, including blues, beiges, greys, and whites.
It is also easily applied because you can use a brush, a roller, or an airless sprayer. It covers up to 37 square meters of space in your home and is dry to the touch in just one hour.
When you finish painting, and it is completely dry, the paint becomes mildew- and stain-resistant. It is even backed by a lifetime guarantee for your convenience.
It cleans up easily with simple soap and water, and it is perfect for all types of rooms, including bedrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, and more.
6. Behr Marquee One Coat Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint and Primer
Easy to clean and made with superior stain resistance, the Behr Marquee paints are perfect for every room in your home, including bedrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, and living rooms. The finish is both mildew-resistant and antimicrobial.
It is also backed by a lifetime guarantee and is exceptionally durable, making it an excellent paint to use when there are kids in the home.
Easy to use and guaranteed to look great with just one coat, this is a high-quality paint that is reliable year after year and will never disappoint.
It is even made with a low amount of chemicals and therefore won't overpower you with its smell. Just 3.8 litres of paint can cover up to 37 square meters of interior space in your home.
7. Benjamin Moore Aura Waterborne Matte Interior Paint
If you are looking for an interior paint that looks great, is easy to apply, and consists of both the paint and primer in one container, this is it.
It is low-odour and has zero VOCs, which means that it doesn't have a bad smell and isn't dangerous for you to breathe.
It comes in a variety of colours and comes with specialised technology that makes every colour extra rich and eye-catching. It is mildew-resistant and not only provides an excellent finish but is also great for touch-ups and smaller jobs.
Each coat is extra thick and provides a nice smooth finish and a rich colour. You'll even be able to wash it time and time again without the colour fading or the paint chipping. It's a bit more expensive than other paints at around £115, but once you use it just one time, you'll understand why.
8. Glidden Essentials Interior Paint
At just £19 a can, it might seem that this paint is sub-par, but that is definitely not the case here. The finish can be washed and scrubbed regularly without hurting the paint, and it is great for low-traffic areas such as dining rooms or master bedrooms.
It is easy to use and provides excellent coverage. You can cover up to of space with every can. You can also apply it with ease using brushes, rollers, and paint sprayers and it comes with a full 15-year warranty to provide you with the peace of mind you deserve.
If you're on a budget and you need high-quality paint that looks great and lasts a long time regardless of what you put it through, the Glidden Essentials paint line is for you.
9. Farrow & Ball interior paint
This brand of paint has more than 130 different colours for you to choose from and it is pricey but well worth the price.
It costs over £128 for 3.8 litres of paint, but this is a high-quality paint that offers excellent coverage and is super easy to use. You can paint everything from walls to trim, mouldings, and furniture.
This is a UK-based paint company, and the product comes in wacky colours and unique names such as Savage Ground and Elephant's Breath. All of their paints are 100% water-based and are low-VOCs, making them much safer to breathe as you work with them.
They are also available in eight different finishes, so they truly offer something for everyone.
10. Prestige Interior Paint and Primer
This is an ultra-premium paint that is perfect for most rooms in your home, including living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, and hallways.
It is low-VOC paint, which means that you won't be breathing in a lot of chemicals or toxins as you paint.
Not only is it incredibly durable, but it is super easy to wash because simple soap and water will do the trick. It goes on smoothly and is just thick enough to give you a smooth, elegant look when you're done.
It is easy to use, easy to clean, and available in four different finishes: eggshell, flat, satin, and semi-gloss.
Furthermore, at just under £48 per can, this is one painting that you can use again and again without breaking the bank, providing yet another perk for you to enjoy.
11. MicroBlend Interior Paint and Primer
At £59 per can, this paint is medium-priced and provides excellent coverage regardless of which room you're painting.
You can easily keep the walls clean with just soap and water. Its low-VOC materials mean that it won't make the room smelly each time you paint.
It comes in three different finishes -- flat, eggshell, and semi-gloss -- and more than 300 colours, which means that the company truly offers something for everyone.
This is a water-based acrylic paint that provides you with a silky-smooth finish that people are bound to notice. It is easy to apply and durable. The company also offers a sample container in case you'd like to try it out first as well as other bigger sizes for your convenience.
12. Montage Interior/Exterior Paint
This is a low-sheen water-based paint that is perfect for residential or commercial use, interior or exterior structures, walls, and trim. In addition to low-sheen, you can also get a semi-gloss finish if that's what you prefer.
It protects against moisture, mould, and mildew, and it provides excellent coverage and a rich, elegant look every time.
It also comes in nearly 20 different colours, including beige, blues, greys, and whites, so you'll be able to find something that's perfect for you every time. It comes with a 10-year warranty and is even made out of eco-friendly ingredients, giving the tree-huggers something to smile about.
The Montage Paint is indeed a very versatile paint that you can count on enjoying for many years to come.
If you are looking to purchase paint and need a good paint brush or rollers i have a guide for you 10 best decorating rollers and why